Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and Cranberries is a sweet addition to your Thanksgiving table or to any cozy fall or winter meal. This side dish is sweet, tart, savory, and creamy.
The sweetness comes from the maple and butternut squash, the tart flavor comes from the cranberries, and the savory flavor comes from the goat cheese sprinkled on top. It's a delicious flavor combination that pairs well with any protein you serve with it.
- Butternut Squash - this vegetable has a sweet and nutty flavor. In my opinion, it tastes a little like sweet potatoes.
- Cranberries - using fresh cranberries is best
- Goat Cheese - this cheese has a mild, sweet flavor and is very creamy
- Pure Maple Syrup - I would suggest using real, pure maple syrup instead of pancake syrup. Pure maple syrup is natural, less processed, and free of all the additives pancake syrup has. In my opinion, it is much tastier too.
- Spices - cinnamon and nutmeg
How to Make Maple Roasted Butternut Squash & Cranberries
You will love this simple and quick side dish. First, preheat the oven. Then peel and cut the butternut squash into cubes. I usually purchase the peeled and pre-cut squash so I can skip this step.
Next, mix maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Spray a foil lined sheet pan with a nonstick spray. Add the butternut squash to one side of the sheet pan and pour half of the maple syrup mixture.
Roast the butternut squash in the oven. Next, take the pan out of the oven and add the cranberries to the other side of the sheet pan. Finally, pour the remaining maple syrup mix over the cranberries and put the pan bake in the oven.
When the butternut squash is fork tender and the cranberries are starting to burst they are finished cooking. Add the squash and cranberries to a serving bowl and top with crumbled goat cheese.
Hungry for More?
- Roasted Garlic Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme
- Cranberry, Prosciutto, & Whipped Goat Cheese Crostini
- Warm Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad
Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and Cranberries
- Sheet Pan
- 3 cups butternut squash peeled and cubes
- 6 ounce cranberries fresh
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF
- Mix maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- Spray foil lined sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add butternut squash to one side of the pan. Pour of the maple syrup mixture over the squash and stir to coat. Cook in the oven for 4 minutes.
- Take the sheet pan out of the oven and add cranberries to the other side of the pan. Pour the remaining maple syrup mixture over the cranberries and stir to coat. Cook in the oven for 8 minutes.
- When the butternut squash is fork tender and the cranberries are starting to burst they are finished cooking. Put the squash and cranberries in a serving bowl and top with crumbled goat cheese.