If you’re looking for the perfect celebration or birthday pancakes this recipe for Funfetti Pancakes from scratch will brighten your special day! Also known as birthday cake pancakes, these easy homemade pancakes are filled with rainbow sprinkles and topped with a delicious 3 ingredient vanilla glaze.
These made from scratch pancakes are a creative birthday breakfast idea or an alternative to birthday cake. For more delicious breakfast and fun pancake recipes try Nutella Stuffed Pancakes to elevate any weekend brunch.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Confetti pancakes make any morning more festive, not just birthdays. Make these funfetti pancakes from scratch for Mother’s Day, the first day of school, or any special Sunday morning.
The vanilla glaze is a unique optional topping, but feel free to top your pancakes with maple syrup, if you prefer. My husband loves fruit on pancakes and likes to top flapjacks with this Simple and Quick Berry Compote.
Ingredients for Homemade Funfetti Pancakes
Of course, you can use store bought pancake mix in a pinch and add sprinkles, but there is something unique about making pancakes from scratch. This funfetti pancake mix is simple to make and adds a cozy homemade taste. Plus, you probably have everything already in your pantry to cook these pancakes without buttermilk.
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (also known as jimmies)
How to Make Funfetti Pancakes
To start making this funfetti pancake recipe you will need two bowls – a medium sized bowl and a large bowl. First, add all of the dry ingredients (except the sprinkles) to the large bowl. Gently stir to mix the dry ingredients. Next, in a medium sized bowl, add all of the wet ingredients and whisk until the egg yolk has broken up.
Then, add the bowl of wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Gently mix until a batter forms. It’s important not to overmix the batter. Finally, it’s time to add the sprinkles to the batter and gently fold them in.
Let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes. I use a 1/4 cup of batter to make one pancake. Melt butter or oil on the griddle. Scoop desired amount of batter and gently drop it onto the griddle (or skillet). Cook on medium heat until tiny bubbles appear and pop on the surface of the pancake. Flip with a spatula and cook for an additional two minutes.
How to Make Vanilla Glaze
Drizzling vanilla glaze over these pancakes with sprinkles adds a special touch to this birthday breakfast. Of course, maple syrup tastes delicious on these confetti pancakes as well, but Funfetti Pancakes with Vanilla Glaze is an extra special treat!
The 3 ingredient vanilla glaze takes only seconds to make. In a small bowl mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. The liquids will dissolve the powdered sugar. Stir the mixture until it is silky smooth. If you prefer your glaze thinner in consistency, add a little more milk. Store any leftover vanilla glaze in an air tight container.
Expert Tips for the Best Pancakes
- Use warm milk when mixing the wet ingredients. If you mix melted butter and cold milk together, the butter will start to harden and form clumps. You can still make the pancakes if this happens, but the butter will not be evenly distributed throughout the batter. I heat the milk in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Don’t overmix the batter! If you overmix the batter your pancakes will be dense and chewy instead of light and fluffy. Lumps in the batter is OK. The lumps will dissolve with resting and cooking.
- Give the batter time to rest. Ideally, let the pancake batter rest for 30 minutes. You can even let the batter rest in the refrigerator overnight. If your in a pinch and just can’t wait to taste these delicious pancakes, try to let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes. Resting the batter will allow even hydration of the flour and help dissolve some of the lumps.
- Don’t overheat the griddle. Overheating the griddle (or skillet) will cause your pancakes to burn. The sprinkles in the funfetti pancake won’t show through if your pancake burns, so cook pancakes on medium heat. If the griddle becomes overheated and causes the pancakes to burn, turn it off and let it cool down for a couple minutes before starting to cook again.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you start to see bubbles pop on the surface of the pancake, it’s time to flip. It should take about 2-3 minutes before you see popping bubbles (or small holes form on the pancake surface). Once you flip the pancake, cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side.
Leftover pancakes will be fine in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week.
YES! Pancakes are a great make-ahead food, so make a bunch and freeze them for a quick breakfast on the go. To freeze pancakes, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag or an airtight container.
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Lay pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet and cover with foil to prevent the tops from burning. Cook pancakes for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Variations of Sprinkles Pancakes
Rainbow sprinkles pancakes are fun and festive any time of the year. But it’s easy to change out the color of sprinkles to make a variety of different holiday pancakes.
For example, you can make:
Christmas pancakes with these red and green sprinkles.
Halloween pancakes with orange, purple and black sprinkles.
Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day pancakes with pink, red, and white sprinkles.
Fourth of July pancakes with these patriotic sprinkles.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Chocolate Baked Oatmeal
- Snickers Smoothie
- Pumpkin Brioche French Toast
- High Protein Overnight Oats (with 3 flavors!)
- Griddle (or skillet)
- Mixing bowls
Dry Ingredients for Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sprinkles (also called jimmies)
Wet Ingredients for Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups milk warm
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
Vanilla Glaze (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients (except the sprinkles) to a large bowl. Gently stir to mix the dry ingredients.
- Melt butter. Warm milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then in a medium sized bowl, add all of the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Gently mix until just combined and a batter forms. Don't overmix the batter, lumps are ok. Add the sprinkles to the batter and gently fold them in. Rest the batter for at least 15 minutes.
- Grease griddle with butter or oil. Add 1/4 cup of batter to the griddle and cook on medium heat until bubbles form on the surface and begin to pop, about 3 minutes. Flip pancake and cook for an additional 2 minutes until cooked through. Repeat until all the batter is cooked.
- To make Vanilla Glaze: in a small bowl mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir the mixture until smooth. If you prefer a thinner glaze consistency, add a little more milk.
- Serve funfetti pancakes with vanilla glaze drizzled on top. Add whipped cream and extra sprinkles, if desired.
- Optional toppings for pancakes: maple syrup, whipped cream, or jam/jelly.