BBQ Chicken Flatbread (Naan Pizza)
Make BBQ Chicken Flatbread at home in under 20 minutes using naan bread. This flavorful BBQ chicken pizza has a crispy naan crust, tangy barbecue sauce, shredded chicken, lots of cheese, sliced red onions, and fresh cilantro.
BBQ chicken naan doubles as one of my favorite easy dinner recipes and game day appetizers! It’s quick and fun to make for many occasions. For more party snacks, try these crispy and creamy Italian Nachos.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Our family will be snacking on this BBQ chicken flatbread recipe for the big game this year (and almost every football Sunday!) Zesty BBQ sauce, juicy chicken, red onions, and cilantro are a delicious flavor combination.
If you’re looking for another chicken appetizer or snack, you have to try Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls next!
Why You’ll Love this BBQ Chicken Flatbread
- This recipe is versatile! Cook it for a game day appetizer, quick weeknight dinner, or family pizza night!
- Fun to make! Get your family involved – making pizza with naan bread is kid-friendly and even my husband and I love to make this pizza for date night at home.
- Budget-friendly meal! It’s much less expensive than ordering takeout or buying your favorite pie at California Pizza Kitchen.
- It’s a healthier option than than ordering a pizza. Plus, you are in control of the ingredients.
BBQ Chicken Flatbread Ingredients:
- Naan Bread – I love using naan bread as pizza crust. I make this pizza with Stonefire naan, but any brand of naan or flatbread will work well.
- BBQ Sauce – Use your favorite BBQ sauce when making this barbecue chicken pizza. My personal favorite is Stubb’s Original BBQ Sauce.
- Shredded Chicken – You will find a variety of ways to make shredded chicken in the post below.
- Cheese – mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan. Using multiple types of cheese in this BBQ chicken flatbread gives it an extra depth of flavor.
- Red Onion – The spicy and sweet taste of red onions pairs perfectly with the flavor combination of chicken and barbecue sauce.
- Cilantro – The fresh, citrus taste of cilantro adds a pop of flavor to these rich pizza toppings.
- I use a silicone pastry brush to brush garlic butter sauce on the edges of the crust.
- Bake this flatbread BBQ Chicken pizza on a baking sheet or a pizza stone.
- Slice the flatbread with this handy dandy pizza cutter wheel.
How to Make a Pizza with Naan
You don’t need to measure all of the ingredients. I usually just eyeball it based on my personal preferences. Homemade BBQ chicken flatbread just hits different. This chicken flatbread pizza comes together quickly, so get ready to dig in!
Step 1: Combine melted butter, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese to make a garlic butter for the naan pizza crust. Place flatbread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the garlic butter on the edges of the naan.
Step 2: Add a layer of BBQ sauce to the flatbread leaving a rim around the edges for the crust.
Step 3: Next, add layers of cheddar and mozzarella cheese over the BBQ sauce.
Step 4: Evenly spread shredded chicken on the flatbread.
Step 5: Add red onions and bake.
Step 6: After baking this naan pizza recipe sprinkle chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, and parmesan cheese on top. Let it sit for a couple minutes before slicing with a pizza cutter.
How to Make BBQ Chicken (3 Ways)
When I cook this recipe, I usually make crockpot BBQ chicken. This method takes the longest, but I think the chicken absorbs the BBQ flavor best.
Using shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken are the quickest methods.
- Crockpot (slow cooker) – Add 1-2 pounds of chicken breasts to a crockpot with a jar of BBQ sauce. Cook on high for two and a half hours. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred it using two forks to pull apart the meat. Add the shredded chicken back to the crockpot and stir to soak up all the sauce. Store leftover BBQ chicken in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Rotisserie – Purchase a whole rotisserie chicken at the store. Break down the chicken and shred it using two forks to pull apart the meat. Toss the pulled chicken in BBQ sauce.
- Leftovers – This is one of my favorite recipes for leftover BBQ chicken, leftover grilled chicken, or leftover baked chicken. Shred or chop the cooked meat and toss it with BBQ sauce.
Swaps & Substitutions
- If you don’t have naan or just don’t want to make a naan bread pizza, you can make this recipe using store-bought or homemade pizza dough. Store-bought flatbread will also work.
- To make multiple personal pizzas, use mini naan bread. Watch the pizzas carefully while they bake as cook times may vary using different sizes.
- Don’t like the taste of cilantro? Use green onions instead of cilantro. Or, if you like cilantro, feel free to use both.
- If you’re looking for more pizza topping ideas, try adding crispy bacon, bell peppers, or red pepper flakes.
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! If you take pictures, share them with me on Instagram so I can repost on Stories!
BBQ Chicken Flatbread (Naan Pizza)
- Baking Sheet
- Pastry Brush
- Pizza Cutter
- 1 Naan bread
- 1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce divided
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro chopped
Garlic Butter Crust
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Place a naan flatbread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup shredded chicken in a bowl and set aside. (Note: you can also cook BBQ chicken in the crockpot as detailed in the post above)
- In a small bowl, combine garlic butter crust ingredients. Using a pastry brush, brush the garlic butter around the edges of the flatbread.
- Add a layer of 1/4 cup barbecue sauce to the flatbread leaving a rim around the edges for the crust. Next, add layers of cheddar and mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Spread shredded BBQ chicken and red onions on the flatbread. Bake at 425°F for 8-10 minutes. Watch closely towards the end of baking to ensure the crust doesn't burn.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top. Let the pizza sit for a couple minutes before slicing into 4 slices with a pizza cutter.
- If you cook more than one naan flatbread at a time or use a different size of naan, cook times will vary. This recipe is for one original sized naan pizza. I used original-size naan from the brand Stonefire.
- You don’t need to measure all of the ingredients. I usually just eyeball it based on my personal preferences.
- 3 ways to make BBQ chicken are detailed in the post above: crockpot, rotisserie, and leftovers.