Introducing one of the best game day appetizers - sit back and enjoy this Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls air fryer recipe while cheering on your favorite team! A zesty buffalo chicken dip with creamy blue cheese is wrapped in a crispy roll and air fried to perfection. Win, win!
If you're looking for more buffalo chicken recipes, you're in luck! Make low-carb Buffalo Chicken Bowls or creamy Buffalo Chicken Chili next time!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Air Fry! - Cooking buffalo chicken egg rolls in the air fryer is so much healthier than deep frying them in oil. Air fryer appetizers are always a hit in our home.
- Easy to make! It's not everyday I make homemade egg rolls, so I was slightly intimidated to start. But I didn't need to worry. This recipe is fun to assemble and will be ready in about 30 minutes using simple ingredients.
- Fun finger foods! Adults and kids alike will love this handheld air fryer appetizer. An egg roll with buffalo chicken is sure to be a party favorite.
- Egg roll wrappers - You can find refrigerated egg roll wrappers in most grocery stores.
- Shredded cooked chicken - For this recipe, I cook two chicken breasts in the slow cooker and shred. You can also shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken or use canned chicken. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken.
- Buffalo sauce - A hot sauce with the perfect mix of sweet, sour, and spice that will leave a tingle on your tongue. Our favorite brand is Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce.
- Cream cheese - Adds a cheesy, creamy texture to the filling.
- Blue cheese - The salty, sharp taste of blue cheese gives these buffalo chicken rolls a kick of flavor.
- Green onions - Adds a fresh, sweet onion taste to the filling without having to chop onions. I use both the green and white ends of the scallions.
- Shredded carrots - Adds a fresh, crunchy texture to the egg roll filling.
- Dipping sauce (optional) - Dip a crispy buffalo chicken eggroll in ranch or blue cheese dressing.
How to Roll an Egg Roll (with Pictures!)
Step 1: Place the egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with the points facing north and south to look like a diamond shape. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the buffalo chicken filling onto the lower portion of the wrapper. Be careful not to get too close to the bottom of the wrapper.
Step 2: Fold the bottom corner (lower half) of the wrapper over the buffalo chicken mixture.
Step 3: Fold in one side of the egg roll wrapper. You may have to use your fingers to crease the corners so there are no holes in the edges of the wrapper.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 by folding in the opposite corner.
Step 5: Dip the tip of your finger in a little water (or egg wash). Run your finger over the top point of the egg roll wrapper and down the sides.
Step 6: Tightly roll the egg roll from the bottom to the top corner. Roll until the top point sticks to the egg roll. If the point is not sealing, dab with additional water until the seam is sealed.
How to Make this Recipe
Not only are air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls healthier than the deep-fried alternative, but it's an easy recipe to make! Air fryer egg rolls are my favorite appetizer to make while watching football or a weekend movie marathon.
To make air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls, preheat the air fryer to 400°F while preparing the egg roll filling.
In a large bowl, combine buffalo sauce and softened cream cheese. Add shredded chicken, carrots, green onions, and blue cheese crumbles to the bowl and mix well. Add 2 tablespoons of filling to the egg roll wrapper and form an egg roll. Don't overfill your buffalo egg rolls.
Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with a cooking spray (I use an olive oil spray) for a crispy egg roll. Place eggrolls in a single layer in the air fryer. Before cooking, spray the top of the buffalo chicken egg rolls with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
Air fry chicken egg rolls on one side for 6 minutes, flip, and continue cooking another 6 minutes until they are lightly golden brown in color and have a crispy crunch to them.
The buffalo chicken filling is hot right out of the air fryer, so let the egg rolls sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. They are even delicious at room temperature. Serve with celery sticks and a dipping sauce like ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.
Swaps & Substitutions
- Use a different cheese, such as shredded sharp cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese as a substitute for blue cheese.
- Add herbs to the buffalo chicken filling for an extra burst of flavor. Herbs and spices like dill, garlic powder, and onion powder would be great additions.
- Make it spicy buffalo chicken by using a hot buffalo wing sauce or adding cayenne powder to the filling.
- Use spring roll wrappers to make buffalo chicken spring rolls. I haven't tested this buffalo chicken egg rolls recipe with spring rolls, but they would work similar to egg roll wrappers. Keep in mind, cooking times and temperatures may need to be adjusted.
Although these are best eaten the same day, leftover air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat leftover egg rolls in the air fryer for a couple minutes for best results.
Store leftover egg roll wrappers in a sealed zip lock bag in the refrigerator.
If you want to make a batch to freeze and enjoy later, egg rolls freeze well. Assemble the egg rolls, place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and put in the freezer until frozen. Store frozen egg rolls in a freezer safe container until ready to cook. Air fry frozen egg rolls by simply adding on an extra minute or two of cook time.
More Easy Appetizers
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- ⅓ cup green onions sliced
- cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, prepare buffalo chicken filling by combining softened cream cheese and buffalo sauce.
- To the same bowl, add shredded chicken, blue cheese, carrots, and green onions. Mix well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the buffalo chicken mixture to an egg roll wrapper and tightly form an egg roll. Repeat until all the filling is used. (Note: see post above for a step-by-step guide with photos on how to roll an egg roll)
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the buffalo chicken egg rolls in a single layer. Spray the top of the egg rolls with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook for 6 minutes, flip, then cook an additional 6 minutes until they are lightly golden brown in color and have a crispy exterior.
- Depending on how much of the buffalo chicken filling you add to each egg roll, you my get slightly more or less than 8 egg rolls.
- Be careful not to overcrowd the air fryer basket so you cook crispy egg rolls. You may have to air fry egg rolls in multiple batches.
- The buffalo chicken filling is hot right out of the air fryer. Let egg rolls sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- If you forget to soften the cream cheese, put it in an oven safe bowl in the oven on the warm setting for 5 minutes.
[…] Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer — Happy Honey Kitchen […]