Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
If you’re looking for an easy dinner recipe with simple ingredients, this Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole is sure to be a hit with the whole family!
This layered chicken enchilada casserole is creamy, delicious, and everything you crave in a Tex-Mex meal. It’s loaded with creamy chicken, melty cheese, corn tortillas, green chilis, and an easy sour cream enchilada sauce.
Looking for another easy chicken casserole? You have to try my King Ranch Chicken Casserole next time!
This sour cream enchilada casserole is a crowd-pleaser and a family favorite. You’ll want to cook this for your next gathering or bring this casserole for a potluck.
One of my favorite dishes to order at a Mexican restaurant is a chicken enchilada with sour cream sauce. But it’s also one of my least favorite meals to cook because rolling up all those tortillas can be tedious and time consuming.
Other than the comforting taste, the best part about this chicken casserole with sour cream is that it’s quick and easy to make. No rolling tortillas required!
Ingredients for Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- Shredded chicken – cooked and shredded. You can cook the chicken any way you like – baked, broiled, slow-cooked, or grilled. You could also shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken or use canned chicken to make life easier.
- Corn tortillas
- Sour cream
- Cream of chicken soup
- Green chilis and/or chopped pickled jalapenos
- Shredded cheese
- Spices – cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, minced onions (or onion powder)
How to Make Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
It’s all about the layers! This Tex-Mex casserole is inspired by easy chicken sour cream enchiladas, so you only need to layer tortillas instead of roll them.
First, make the easy sour cream sauce by mixing sour cream, cream of chicken soup, milk, chilis, and spices. Then it’s time to assemble the Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Casserole. There are four layers to this white chicken enchilada casserole and you will repeat the layers, for a total of two times.
Step 1: Layer the bottom of a large baking dish with six corn tortillas.
Step 2: Spread half of the cooked and shredded chicken over the corn tortillas.
Step 3: Evenly spread a layer of half the sour cream sauce over the shredded chicken.
Step 4: Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the sour cream sauce.
Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4 and bake the layered chicken casserole.
What to Serve with Chicken Casserole?
This creamy chicken enchilada casserole is delicious on it’s own, but if you want to add some sides to make it a more complete meal, here are some tasty options:
- Chips with salsa and guacamole
- Air Fryer Green Beans to get in your veggies.
- Cauliflower Spanish Rice a low carb Spanish rice that’s full of flavor.
- Frozen Limeade Margarita because a classic frozen margarita always pairs well with Mexican food!
Unless you’re serving a crowd, this enchilada casserole with sour cream makes plenty for leftovers. Let leftovers cool to room temperature before storing. Store leftover casserole in the refrigerator, tightly covered with foil or in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
You can also freeze leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Before reheating, allow casserole to thaw overnight. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
More Cozy Dinner Recipes
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! If you take pictures, share them with me on Instagram so I can repost on Stories!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 9×13" Baking Dish
- 4 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, or cheddar
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces green chilis
- 2 Tablespoons pickled jalapenos in a jar, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13" baking dish.
- Make the sour cream sauce by mixing sour cream, cream of chicken soup, milk, chilis, and all spices in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- To assemble the casserole, start by layering the bottom of the baking dish with six corn tortillas.
- For the second layer, spread half of the cooked and shredded chicken over the corn tortillas.
- For the third layer, evenly spread half of the sour cream sauce over the shredded chicken.
- For the fourth layer, sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the sour cream sauce.
- Repeat all layers one more time.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let the casserole rest and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to make this recipe spicier, you can: use fresh jalapeno, add a couple teaspoons of hot sauce, 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder, or 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the sour cream sauce.
- Optional toppings can be: salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro, and green onions.