If you’re looking for an easy dinner recipe with simple ingredients, this Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole full of traditional enchilada flavor will be a hit with the whole family!
This layered chicken enchilada casserole is creamy, delicious, and everything you crave in an authentic tex mex meal. It’s loaded with creamy chicken, melty cheese, corn tortillas, green chilis, and an amazing sour cream sauce.
Looking for another easy chicken casserole? You have to try my King Ranch Chicken Casserole next time!
One of my favorite dishes to order at a Mexican restaurant is is a chicken enchilada with a great sour cream sauce. But it’s also one of my least favorite meals to cook. Rolling tortillas can be tedious and time consuming. Enter this easy chicken enchilada recipe (aka sour cream enchilada casserole)!
Why We Love this Recipe
- Other than the comforting taste, the best part about this chicken casserole with sour cream is that it’s quick and easy to make! Perfect for busy nights and a great weeknight recipe that you can eat all week. It's even better the next day!
- This sour cream chicken enchilada recipe is a crowd-pleaser and a family favorite.
- The best casserole for a potluck.
- No rolling tortillas required!
- Shredded chicken - cooked and shredded. Cook chicken breasts any way you like – in a slow cooker with chicken broth, baked, or grilled. You can also shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken or use canned chicken to make life easier.
- Sour cream - I prefer to use full-fat sour cream to add moisture and rich flavor, as well as to keep the chicken tender.
- Corn tortillas
- Cream of chicken soup
- Green chilis and/or chopped pickled jalapenos
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Spices - cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, minced onions, salt, and black pepper
How to Make Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
It’s all about the layers! This tex mex casserole is inspired by easy chicken sour cream enchiladas, so you only need to layer tortillas instead of roll them.
First, make the easy sour cream sauce by combining sour cream, cream of chicken soup, milk, green chilies, and spices in a large bowl.
Now, it’s time to assemble the casserole. There are four layers to this white chicken enchilada casserole and you will repeat the layers, for a total of two times.
Step 1: Layer the bottom of the baking dish, or casserole dish, with six corn tortillas.
Step 2: Spread half of the cooked and shredded chicken over the corn tortillas.
Step 3: Evenly spread a layer of half the creamy sour cream sauce over the shredded chicken.
Step 4: Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the sour cream sauce.
Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4 and bake the layered chicken casserole. Garnish with fresh cilantro or green onions, if desired.
- Make a double batch to freeze this easy chicken enchilada casserole. You'll thank me later!
- Corn tortillas are traditional for making enchiladas. If you try to use flour tortillas, they may get a gummy texture.
- Use leftover chicken or canned chicken to save time making this recipe.
Swaps & Substitutions
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a more flavorful and moist chicken.
- To make this casserole spicier, add extra chili powder, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce.
- For more texture, add chopped bell peppers or fresh jalapeños.
- If you don't have dried minced onions, use 1 teaspoon of onion powder instead.
What to Serve with Chicken Casserole?
This creamy chicken enchilada casserole is delicious on it's own, but if you want to add some sides to make it a more complete meal, here are some tasty options:
- Black Beans
- Salsa and guacamole with tortilla chips
- Air Fryer Green Beans to get in your veggies.
- Cauliflower Spanish Rice is a low carb Mexican rice that's full of flavor.
- Frozen Limeade Margarita because a classic frozen margarita always pairs well with Mexican food!
Unless you're serving a crowd, this enchilada casserole with sour cream makes plenty for leftovers. Let leftovers cool to room temperature before storing. Store leftover casserole in the refrigerator, tightly covered with foil or in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
You can also freeze leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Before reheating, allow casserole to thaw overnight. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
More Cozy Dinner Recipes
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Enjoy!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 9x13" Baking Dish
- 4 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, or cheddar
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- 8 ounces green chilis
- 2 Tablespoons pickled jalapenos in a jar, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13" baking dish.
- Make the sour cream sauce by mixing sour cream, cream of chicken soup, milk, chilis, and all spices in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- To assemble the casserole, start by layering the bottom of the baking dish with six corn tortillas.
- For the second layer, spread half of the cooked and shredded chicken over the corn tortillas.
- For the third layer, evenly spread half of the sour cream sauce over the shredded chicken.
- For the fourth layer, sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the sour cream sauce.
- Repeat all layers one more time.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let the casserole rest and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- To save time, you can use canned chicken.
- If you want to make this recipe spicier, you can: use fresh jalapeno, add a couple teaspoons of hot sauce, 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder, or ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the sour cream sauce.
- Optional toppings can be: salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro, and green onions.