Secret Ingredient for the Best Burger
The Secret Ingredient for the Best Burger will change the way you grill burgers at home. Everyone has a burger recipe, but I’m about to give you the SECRET to the most flavorful, juiciest burger you will ever make.
This is my husband JJ’s famous burger recipe. He is sweet enough to share it with you, friends! This recipe made me (and my friends) fall in love with him.
Since we moved from Dallas to Houston four years ago, every summer we host a pool party weekend with our friends. Their number one request for the weekend meal plan is JJ’s juicy burgers. What am I? Chopped liver? I can’t blame them because these burgers are the best I’ve ever had. Of course, they are made with love and grilled to perfection, but there is a SECRET ingredient that makes these burgers shine.
What You Will Need:
- Ground Beef - I like to use 80/20 (80% lean, 20% fat) because I think it is the ideal lean-to-fat ratio for the juiciest, most flavorful burger.
- Egg yolks
- Seasonings - salt, pepper, paprika
- Minced garlic
- Hamburger buns - I like to use brioche buns for a buttery sweet flavor.
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onion, cheese, etc.
- The Secret Ingredient... (drumroll, please) - Brown Sugar!
How to Make the Best Burger
As I'm sure you have already figured out, these burgers have very few ingredients! Bonus! The burgers are super simple and easy to make.
One of the keys to keeping the patties together is to keep the ground beef cold. If the meat is room temperature after you mix and form the patties, let the patties sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill. Doing this will help the patties stick together when you are cooking or grilling them.
First, mix all of the ingredients (except the ground beef) together in big mixing bowl. Second, add the ground beef and start mixing everything together with your hands. Finally, form the burger patties. One pound of ground beef will make 4 patties.
We like to grill these burgers, but you can cook them on the stovetop or bake them in an oven. Use a food thermometer to be sure the beef patties have reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 160 °F.
If you want to make grilled cheeseburgers, simply add the cheese in the final minute of grilling for perfectly melted cheese. If you want to toast the hamburger buns, add the buns to the grill in the final minute as well. Now for the best part - assemble your perfect grilled burger and enjoy!
More Recipes to Try:
- Low-Carb Big Mac Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Bowl
- Air Fryer Cheez-It Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Simple Sausage Skillet with Onions, Peppers, and Potatoes
Secret Ingredient for the Best Burger
- 1 pound ground beef (I prefer 80/20)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Add all ingredients (except ground beef) to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add ground beef to the bowl and mix all ingredients with your hands.
- Form 4 burger patties.
- Once the grill has reached high heat (450°F.), cook patties about 4 minutes on each side. Use a food thermometer to be sure the beef patties have reached a safe minimum internal temperature of
- If making a cheeseburger, add a slice of cheese to the patty in the last minute of grilling. You can also toast the hamburger buns in the last minute of grilling.
Well, I never would have thought to use brown sugar in the burger. I love the addition of paprika too!
I never thought about putting brown sugar in a burger! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks!
Love the brown sugar and spice additions to these burgers. Can't wait to try them!
I’m a huge burger lover so I’m so happy to have found this recipe! So juicy!
I’m one of the friends! These burgers were so good that the first bite shocked me! After the first bite, I literally stared at the burger wondering why this burger was so good! My favorite!