The secret ingredient for the best burger recipe will change the way you grill burgers at home. This secret ingredient will give you the most flavorful, juicy burger you will ever make.
This is my husband JJ’s famous burger recipe. The classic burger recipe made me (and my friends) fall in love with him. When our friends visit, their number one request is for JJ to grill these juicy burgers. They are seriously the best homemade burgers!
I can’t blame them because this is the best homemade hamburger recipe I’ve ever had. Of course, they are made with love and grilled to perfection, but there is a secret ingredient that makes these burgers stand out.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- Classic burger - no fancy stuff here, it's the traditional flavor we all know and love.
- Simple ingredients - this recipe uses just a few ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Easy recipe - simply mix the ingredients in a bowl, form hamburger patties, and grill.
- Quick - ready in under 30 minutes!
- Ground Beef: we like to use 80/20 (80% lean, 20% fat) because I think it is the ideal lean-to-fat ratio for the best burgers.
- Egg yolks
- Seasonings: salt, black pepper, smoked paprika
- Minced garlic: or garlic powder
- Hamburger buns: I like to use brioche buns for a buttery sweet flavor.
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled white onion or red onion, cheese, etc.
- The Secret Ingredient... (drumroll, please): brown sugar!
How to Make the Best Burger
Get ready to dig in to the perfect burger. Trust me, you will want to make these grilled hamburgers all summer long. Here's how to make our juicy burger recipe:
Step 1: Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
Step 2: Form the meat mixture into hamburger patties. One pound of meat will make 3-4 ground beef patties. We like thick patties, so we usually get 3 burgers out of one pound.
Step 3: Preheat an outdoor grill or cast iron griddle to approximately 400°F. Place ground beef patties on the grill and cook covered on medium-high heat. Flip burgers and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness.
The internal temperature of the burger should reach 160°F. Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
Step 4: To make a cheeseburger, add a slice of cheese to the burger patty in the last minute of cooking. Cover the grill to help it melt. Toast buns at this time as well.
Step 5: Assemble the hamburger with your favorite burger toppings, such as: a slice of tomato, cheddar cheese, lettuce, pickles, mustard, ketchup, and/or mayo. For an added kick, spread our spicy mayo sauce on the toasted bun.
What to Serve with Burgers?
Traditionally, French fries are served with burgers. For a healthier option, serve burgers with sweet potatoes or green beans. For more burger side dish ideas, look through our favorite air fryer sides and best sides for burgers.
- Keep the ground beef cold. If the meat has warmed to room temperature after you form the hamburger patties, chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Doing this will help the burger patties stick together while grilling.
- Salt can affect the meat by drawing out moisture, so if you don't plan to cook the patties right away, wait to salt them until right before cooking.
- For perfectly juicy burgers, let them rest for 5 minutes after cooking.
When grilling burgers, it's best to use 80/20 ground beef chuck. This means the meat is 80% lean and 20% fat. This is the ideal lean to fat ratio for grilled burgers.
One pound of ground beef will make 4 burger patties. If you like larger burgers, make 3 patties out of 1 pound.
Yes, ground beef may still be pink after it has been safely cooked. Just make sure it has been cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
Once the patty has come to room temperature, wrap it in plastic wrap or put in an airtight container to store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Leftover patties freeze well! To freeze burger patties, place them in a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 4 months. If frozen, allow patty to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat the patty on a microwave safe plate for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Leftover burger toppings can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Hungry for More?
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Enjoy!
Best Burger Recipe (Secret Ingredient!)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- hamburger buns
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Using your hands, mix ingredients together until well combined. Form ground beef mixture into 3 to 4 round patties.
- Preheat the grill to approximately 400°F. Place burgers on the grill and cook covered on medium high heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side depending on thickness of the patty. The internal temperature of the burger should reach 160°F.
- If making a cheeseburger, add a slice of cheese to the patty in the last minute of grilling. You can also toast the hamburger buns in the last minute of grilling. Let burgers rest for 5 minutes before assembling.
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onion, etc.
- You can substitute ½ teaspoon garlic powder in place of fresh garlic.
- One of the keys to keeping the patties together is to keep the ground beef cold. If the meat is room temperature after you mix and form the patties, let the patties sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill. Doing this will help the patties stick together when you are cooking or grilling them.
- For thin burger patties you may want to leave the grill lid open while cooking.