Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup with Cream Cheese will spice up your dinner with bold new flavors! This ground chicken soup is packed with lean protein, fresh veggies, creamy cheese, and a tangy buffalo sauce that will leave you wanting more. Top this velvety rich chicken buffalo soup with blue cheese and green onions for an extra robust flavor.
This quick and easy spicy chicken soup is great to make for game day or a cozy weeknight meal. If you’re looking for another hearty soup recipe, try Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup next time!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I consider this to be a perfect mix of a chili and a soup because it’s thick like a chili but creamy like a soup and with no chili powder added. If you’re a fan of buffalo wings, this stove top chili will be your new cold weather craving. It’s basically a chicken wing soup minus the wings!
- Ground Chicken – I prefer using ground meat in soup and chili, but you can also use shredded or cubed chicken
- Buffalo sauce – My go-to brand for Buffalo sauce is Frank’s RedHot.
- Vegetables – onions, celery, carrots, corn, and beans. I used white beans while photographing this recipe, but black beans and red kidney beans taste great in this chili as well.
- Rotel tomatoes – I prefer using the ‘fire roasted’ flavor, but you can also use ‘original’ or any plain diced tomatoes.
- Ranch seasoning packet
- Cream Cheese – This is mixed in at this end to add creaminess and tone down some of the spice. You can use less if you would prefer a more pronounced spicy Buffalo flavor. The addition of cream cheese helps to make this one of my favorite keto ground chicken recipes.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
This buffalo chicken soup recipe is tangy and unique. Best of all, it’s an easy game day soup to make on a chilly Sunday.
First, get out the cream cheese so it can come to room temperature. In a large Dutch oven, brown the ground chicken with a little bit of olive oil. I usually don’t add oil while browning meat because meat is fatty enough, but chicken is so lean it needs a little assistance so it doesn’t burn or stick to the pot.
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Cook and break up the ground chicken for about 5 minutes.
Next, add onions, celery, and carrots to the Dutch oven with a little olive oil or butter. Cook on medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 5-8 minutes.
Add a packet of Ranch seasoning mix and cook for one minute longer. Then add chicken stock, corn, beans, tomatoes, and buffalo sauce to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and slowly add in cubes of room temperature cream cheese. Stir soup until all cream cheese has melted.
If you’re wondering what to serve with this, click the link to find 21 side dishes for chili and soup!
Substitutions/Variations for Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Meat: Ground turkey would be a great substitution in this soup. You can also use rotisserie chicken or cooked shredded chicken instead of ground chicken. If you do this, add the cooked chicken to the pot in the same step as the chicken stock, beans, etc.
- Beans: A variety of beans will work well in this chicken wings soup. Some of my favorites while testing this soup were black beans or kidney beans.
- Vegetarian: You can make this buffalo soup vegetarian by doubling up on the beans and vegetables.
- Spice level: I use ‘original’ buffalo sauce, but you can use ‘hot’ buffalo sauce to make this a spicy chicken soup recipe. Depending on the level of spice you want, you can add or subtract the amount of Buffalo sauce you use. Using less cream cheese will increase the spice level.
Let the Buffalo Chicken Soup come to room temperature before putting it in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or up to 4 days. Reheat soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To freeze, store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Soup Recipes to Try:
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! If you take pictures, share them with me on Instagram so I can repost on Stories!
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots chopped
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 1 packet Ranch seasoning mix
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce
- 10 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- 15 ounce can beans drained
- 8 ounce cream cheese cubed and softened
- Take cream cheese out of the refrigerator to bring to room temperature.
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the chicken. Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook, breaking up the ground chicken for about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots to the pot with a little olive oil or butter. Cook on medium-high heat until the vegetables are softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the Ranch seasoning packet and cook on medium heat for about one minute longer.
- Add chicken stock, corn, beans, tomatoes, and Buffalo sauce to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and slowly add in cubes of room temperature cream cheese. Stir chili until all cream cheese is melted.
- Depending on the level of spice you want, you can add or subtract the amount of Buffalo sauce you use. Lowing the amount of cream cheese you add will increase the spice level.
- You can substitute ground turkey instead of chicken.
- Use your favorite beans. Some of my favorites while testing this soup were black, kidney, or white beans.
- Optional toppings: blue cheese and scallions