This one-pot creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage is the ultimate comfort food recipe. Sausage tortellini soup is loaded with chunks of Italian sausage, cheesy stuffed pasta, tomatoes, and herbs. This tortellini sausage soup is a family-friendly soup that you can have on your table in around 30 minutes!
The combination of tomato soup and cheese is absolutely delicious. And the addition of hearty Italian sausage for extra protein takes the flavor over the top. This hearty tomato soup is next level! For more hearty soup recipes, try Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup.
This Italian sausage tortellini soup is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. I love making this recipe multiple times during "soup season" and I even dream about it in the summer! I usually only make soup when it's cold outside, but I may have to start changing that because of this creamy sausage tortellini soup.
- Italian Sausage - I use mild or sweet Italian sausage, but if you want a kick of spice, you can use hot Italian sausage.
- Cheese Tortellini - You can use the 20 ounce package of refrigerated tortellini or the smaller 9 ounce package depending on how much tortellini you want in your soup.
- Canned Tomatoes - I use a mix of whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce to give this soup a flavorful chucky texture.
- Spices - Garlic and basil give this soup a classic tomato basil flavor.
- Heavy Whipping Cream - Adding this at the end of cooking gives this soup a velvet texture and creamy flavor.
How to Make Tomato Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
This hearty soup comes together quickly, so get ready! First, brown the sausage in a large Dutch oven. This sausage tortellini soup recipe makes a big batch of soup, so you will want to use a big enough pot.
Next, add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes on medium-high heat until they are softened. Add the salt, pepper, basil, oregano, garlic, and flour to the pot and cook stirring frequently for one minute.
The flour will allow this soup to thicken quickly without having to cook it for a long time, so don't skip this step. Slowly add in the chicken stock, stirring frequently so the flour and stock mix well and don't clump together.
Then add in the can of whole tomatoes and break them up with a potato masher or fork. This will leave chucks of tomatoes to give this soup a thick, chunky texture. Next, add the remaining tomatoes and brown sugar.
Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. After simmering, add the cheese tortellini and cook according to package directions. Finally, stir in heavy whipping cream and mix well.
If you're wondering what to serve with this, click the link to find 21 side dishes for chili and soup!
Step 1: Brown Italian sausage in a large pot.
Step 2: Add onions and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
Step 3: Add garlic, spices, and flour to the pot and cook for one minute.
Step 4: Slowly pour in chicken stock while stirring so the flour doesn't clump.
Step 5: Add canned tomatoes and brown sugar. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Step 6: Add tortellini and cook according to package directions.
Step 7: Turn off the heat and stir in heavy cream to make this soup creamy.
- Add vegetables like spinach, celery, and carrots for a thicker soup full of hidden veggies!
- Fresh or frozen tortellini will work well in this soup. Make sure to cook according to package directions.
- For a spicier soup use hot Italian sausage and add in some red pepper flakes.
- We like chucky soup, but if you want this tomato soup to be silky smooth, use an immersion blender before adding the tortellini.
Storing & Freezing Tomato Tortellini Soup
Let the tomato tortellini soup with Italian sausage come to room temperature before putting it in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or up to 4 days. Reheat soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To freeze, store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you plan to freeze this before making it, I wouldn't freeze it with the tortellini. Thaw overnight and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. Add the tortellini when reheating it.
More Soup Recipes
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! If you take pictures, share them with me on Instagram so I can repost on Stories!
Tomato Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 9 ounce package of cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large Dutch oven, brown sausage. Once it has browned, about 5 minutes, drain excess fat if needed.
- Melt butter in the pot. Add onions cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and flour to the pot and cook one minute on medium heat. Stirring frequently.
- Slowly add in chicken stock while stirring so the flour doesn't clump.
- Add the can of whole tomatoes to the pot. Break up the whole tomatoes with a potato masher or fork until only chunks remain. Add remaining cans of crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a roaring boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cheese tortellini and cook according to package directions.
- Once the tortellini has cooked through, turn off the heat and stir in heavy whipping cream.
- Serve this soup with parmesan cheese on top.
- Use the 9 ounce tortellini or 20 ounce tortellini package, depending on how much you want in the soup.
- If you want to add more vegetables, try: celery, carrots, and spinach.
- Be careful not to overcook the tortellini. Check on it often once you add it to the pot.