Wake up happy with this high protein Chocolate Cherry Smoothie. The classic flavor combination of chocolate and cherries blended together with superfood cacao powder will have your taste buds singing.
This cherry chocolate smoothie is full of vitamins and minerals to help you thrive. In addition, the chocolate protein powder gives an extra boost of nutrition to this superfood smoothie.
I never thought I would like a smoothie with cherries, but this is seriously the best cherry smoothie recipe! The first time I tried this chocolate protein powder smoothie I just closed my eyes and smiled - it's that good!
Why We Love this Recipe
- Have this sweet and tart chocolate cherry protein smoothie anytime of day - breakfast, snack, or late night treat.
- It tastes like a milkshake, but is naturally sweetened and filled with nutrient rich ingredients that will leave you feeling energized.
- Most of these ingredients are probably already in your pantry or freezer. Don't have any bananas? No problem! This smoothie without banana won't have you missing the fruit at all.
- Cacao powder - Cacao power is the ultimate superfood - it's packed full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It also supports healthy blood sugar, cardiovascular health, positive mood, and natural energy.
- Frozen cherries - I prefer to make this smoothie with frozen cherries; I keep a bag in my freezer all year round. Frozen fruit smoothies help to keep your smoothie cold without having to add ice. Plus, making a frozen cherry smoothie helps save time because you don't have to pit fresh cherries.
- Chocolate protein powder - Optimum Nutrition ('extreme milk chocolate' flavor) is what I use to make this protein smoothie recipe. I also like Signature whey protein. Although, any chocolate flavored protein powder will work. For a vegan chocolate smoothie, use vegan protein powder.
- Milk of choice - Personally, I love to make this smoothie with oat milk or coconut milk. If you want to add an extra chocolatey flavor, feel free to make this a chocolate milk smoothie.
Optional Smoothie Add-ins
- Chia seeds and/or flax seeds would bring a great addition of fiber, protein, and healthy fats. I like adding a tablespoon of these ingredients to smoothies because they boost the nutrition content without changing the flavor.
- A handful of spinach may change the color and alter the flavor slightly, but this smoothie add-in will help you get in your daily serving of vegetables.
- To make this decedent smoothie even creamier, add about a half a cup of yogurt. Yogurt will boost the amount of protein too.
- A spoonful of the superfood acai powder is an antioxidant and omega-fatty acid powerhouse that can boost energy and performance.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
This easy 4-ingredient smoothie is simple to blend up anytime of the day. First, if you are using fresh cherries, make sure they are pitted before adding them to the blender. Also, add a small handful of ice to the blender to keep the smoothie cold if you're not using frozen cherries.
Next, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Finally, pour the cherry chocolate smoothie into a glass and enjoy.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Enjoy!
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen cherries pitted
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- You can substitute cocoa powder for cacao powder, but cocoa is chemically processed and will not have the health benefits of cacao.
- You can use fresh cherries instead of frozen cherries, but make sure the cherries are pitted. Add a handful of ice if using fresh cherries.
- My two favorite protein powder brands to use in this recipe are Optimum Nutrition and Signature (they are linked in the post).