A fun finger food - Caprese Tortellini Skewers with Balsamic Glaze are a delicious cold appetizer idea! This no-bake appetizer can easily be made in 25 minutes! The combination of tomato and basil along with creamy mozzarella and cheesy tortellini is a perfect bite. It's full of all the simple Italian flavors we know and love.
Caprese skewers with tortellini are the best party appetizers because they can be made ahead of time and are portable (perfect for a potluck!). Plus, everyone loves appetizers on skewers, right?!
I especially love that you can serve these tortellini caprese skewers all year round. They are a good cold summer appetizer or holiday party finger food. These skewers are one of my favorite inexpensive cold appetizers for a crowd.
This cold tortellini appetizer is inspired by a tortellini caprese salad. This salad on a skewer is topped with a sweet and savory balsamic glaze. Your guests will be reaching for seconds. I especially love serving these skewers before a meal like Spicy Spaghetti Arrabiata.
- Skewers - These are the skewers I use for this recipe - size 4.7 inches long from Amazon.
- Tortellini - I use cheese tortellini, but any flavor would be good to use for these tortellini caprese bites.
- Tomatoes - The size of cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes work best in this recipe.
- Mozzarella - I like to use small mozzarella balls to make these party skewers. If you can't find mozzarella in small bite-sized balls, you can cut up a larger ball of mozzarella cheese into cubes to make these tortellini mozzarella skewers.
- Basil - You will need fresh basil leaves for these tortellini basil skewers.
- Balsamic glaze - I use Trader Joe's balsamic glaze to drizzle over these caprese skewers.
- Olive oil, lemon, salt, & pepper
How to Make Caprese Tortellini Skewers with Balsamic Glaze
This easy cold appetizer on a stick was inspired by a healthy caprese salad. These salad kabobs are a deliciously fun finger food and simple to make for a large gathering.
First, boil water and cook the tortellini according to the package instructions. Once the tortellini are cooked, drain them in a colander and run cold water over them to cool.
Next, in a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add the chilled tortellini, tomatoes, and mozzarella to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together and let them marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Finally, it's time for the fun part - assemble the caprese tortellini skewers! Add one tomato, basil leaf, tortellini, and mozzarella ball to each skewer. Then place the completed skewers on a platter and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
My favorite part about this easy appetizer is that it can be made ahead of time. I like to make these Caprese Tortellini Skewers with Balsamic Glaze the night before or the morning before a party. If you're not having a party, no problem, they are also good to meal prep for lunches or snacks for the week.
Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad. It's made of sliced mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil The salad is assembled by overlapping the ingredients on a plate and is traditionally seasoned with salt and olive oil.
Balsamic glaze is a reduction of balsamic vinegar and is thicker in consistency. Grocery stores sell premade balsamic glaze, but you can also make it yourself. To make balsamic glaze: simmer balsamic vinegar in a saucepan for about 15 minutes until it's reduced by half.
More Easy Appetizers
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Enjoy!
Caprese Tortellini Skewers with Balsamic Glaze
- 18 Skewers
- Large pot to boil water
- 18 cheese tortellini
- 18 mozzarella small bite-sized balls
- 18 grape tomatoes
- 18 fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- drizzle of balsamic glaze as much as desired
- Cook tortellini according to the package directions. Drain tortellini in a colander and run cold water over them to cool.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. Add tortellini, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese to the bowl and toss to mix. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add one tomato, basil leaf, tortellini, and mozzarella ball to each skewer. Place the completed skewers on a platter and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve immediately or cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The skewers I use for this recipe are 4.7 inches long from Amazon (linked in post)
- I only had 18 mozzarella balls, so I could only make 18 Caprese Tortellini Skewers. Simply double or triple the ingredients to make more servings.