This juicy, one pan Apple Chicken Skillet is a great way to add fruit and vegetables to dinner. This meal takes healthy comfort food to a new level!
Apple Chicken Skillet takes healthy comfort food to a new level with fruit, veggies, and protein all in one bowl!
Looking for another comforting meal? Try Smoked Sausage and Potato Skillet with Peppers and Onions next time.
- Apples - I prefer to use Granny Smith apples for this recipe. The tart flavor of Granny Smith mellows out when it cooks down and pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
- Chicken - We like to cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, but you can use tenders or leave the chicken breast whole. Don't forget, you will need to adjust the cooking time if you choose to have bigger pieces of chicken. Chicken is fully cooked at 165 ºF.
- Yellow Onion
- Thyme - The earthy, slightly lemony flavor of thyme pairs well with the three main ingredients in this recipe: apple, chicken, and onion.
- Chicken stock (or water)
- Dijon mustard
How to Make an Apple Chicken Skillet
Grab a skillet, a cutting board, and knife because those are the only three kitchen tools you will need! I love the simplicity of making this recipe. It's a great go-to recipe to have on hand when you need to whip something up quick and easy.
First, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. For this recipe, I like the chicken in bite-sized pieces because it is quick to cook and easy to eat. In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat and add the chicken and spices. Cook chicken about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, add the garlic, apples, and onions. Stir, then add in the chicken stock and cover. Leave skillet covered and simmer for 8 minutes. The final step is to mix the Dijon mustard in at the end. So quick and easy! Fill up a bowl and Enjoy!
Hungry for More?
- Buffalo Chicken Bowl
- Smoked Sausage and Potato Skillet with Peppers and Onions
- Low-Carb Spicy Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
- Air Fryer Cheez-It Crusted Chicken Tenders
If you try this recipe or any recipe from Happy Honey Kitchen, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Enjoy!
The Best Apple Chicken Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 yellow onion, cut into slices
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- In a skillet on medium heat, heat olive oil and then add chicken.
- Season chicken with thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring chicken frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for about one minute. Next add apples and onions to the skillet and stir.
- Mix in the applesauce and chicken stock. Cover skillet and simmer for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, using a meat thermometer, check to see that the chicken is cooked to
- When chicken is fully cooked, add Dijon mustard to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Grab a bowl and enjoy!